The Great Christmas Day Quiz
Unglue the family from their phones on Christmas Day and get their brains working with the ultimate festive quiz.
If the kids and grandkids are inseparable from their new video games, and the grown-ups are engrossed in their phones and tablets, you may need to bring back a bit of old-fashioned family bonding. This Christmas quiz is just the thing to get some healthy rivalry going – offer prizes for the winners to make sure everyone gets involved.
Questions marked with a star are for little ones. Good luck, and have fun! Answers are at the bottom of the page… And remember, no peeking!
Christmas quiz questions
1. According to the poem, ‘The Night Before Christmas’, how many reindeer did Santa have to pull his sleigh? Eight, nine or 10?
2. What is traditionally hidden inside a Christmas pudding?
3. What is the name of the character in Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’ who gets visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future?
4. A foreign city has donated a huge Christmas tree to the people of Britain every year since 1947, which is always displayed in Trafalgar Square. Which city is it? A) Munich B) Stockholm c) Oslo
5. *How many days are there on a traditional advent calendar? 12, 24, 31?
6. *In the song ‘The 12 Days of Christmas’ how many gold rings does the singer’s ‘truelove’ give him?
7. There are 365 days in a year. What number day is Christmas Day?
8. Why did Father Christmas need Rudolf the Reindeer to use his large, glowing nose to guide his sleigh?
9. What is the last day of Christmas called?
10. Which plant, beginning with P is associated with Christmas?
11. What is ‘Happy Christmas’ in Spanish?
12. What’s the name of the ballet traditionally performed around Christmas each year?
13. Stollen is a cake with fruit and marzipan, traditionally eaten at Christmas and originating from which country?
14. Who introduced the Christmas tree to the UK?
15. What is a female turkey called?
16. Which unusual ingredient did Victorian cooks use in mince pies?
17. If you’re born on Christmas Day, what’s your star sign?
18. *When Santa got stuck up the chimney, his beard was all black, his nose was tickling, and what did he have in his sack?
19. *Because of the time difference, do the people of Australia get to celebrate Christmas Day before we do in the UK, or after us?
20. What’s the fun name for the sausages wrapped in bacon traditionally eaten with the Christmas dinner?
2. A coin
3. Ebeneezer Scrooge
8. It was foggy on Christmas Eve
9. Twelfth Night
11. Feliz navidad
12. The Nutcracker
14. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
16. Minced meat… eugh!
19. Before us
20. Pigs in blankets
How many did you get correct? Leave your score in the comments below and we’ll see who our Christmas quiz champion family is.