Holiday packing like a pro
Start relaxing before you’ve even left for the airport, with these three simple do’s and don’ts to packing everything you need for your holiday
DO – plan. Decide what clothes you need to take and then fold them up into neat piles.
DON’T – think you’re saving time by just throwing everything into your bag, you might forget what’s already gone in the case and double up with things you won’t wear.
1. Make a list of where you’re likely to go while you’re away, then write down what you’d wear for each trip.
2. Think about what items could double up for daytime and then nighttime with just a small addition (like a glitzy shawl).
3. Consider how easy it will be to do laundry while you’re away to minimize how many things you really need to pack.
DO – pack methodically.
DON’T – crush pleated clothes and favourite items by using a case that’s too small.
1. Start packing with the smaller, lighter items like t-shirts. Roll them up to save space.
2. Then take heavier items, like pairs of trousers, and bundle them around a cluster of the smaller rolled items. This will prevent crease marks, which saves you from having to iron when you unpack your clothes.
3. Next, stuff your socks and tights into your shoes to save space and help shoes keep their shape. It’s always worth putting shoes in a plastic bag too, so clean clothes don’t get dirty.
DO – stop and check at the end that you have got everything on your packing checklist.
DON’T – forget your usual daily routines from home.
1. Go to the bathroom and make sure you’ve got all the personal items you’ll need for the weekend, week or longer period you’ll be away.
2. Check you’ve got everything you need for sunny days and glam nights.
3. If you love the way your hair looks with your favourite shampoo, it’s worth packing it. Most hotels have free toiletries but nothing beats feeling your best when you’re having the trip of a lifetime.