The speedy house clean
A stitch in time saves nine, as they say. So don’t let dishes pile up in the sink, do your washing regularly, and always put things away straight after using them. That might all sound pretty obvious, but with the daily rush of family life, it’s worth reassessing the basics every now and then, so that come the weekly Big Tidy Up, you don’t need to call in a SWAT team to help.
Spend your weekend doing something more fun! Here are a few tips to help you seriously reduce the time you spend cleaning the house.
There are a few starting points you just need to get sorted once and then they’ll be in place forever more.
- Decide exactly when you’re going to clean the bathroom, vacuum, or do the ironing, and set yourself a time-slot that you stick to.
- Set up a cupboard space specifically for cleaning. Then sort your cleaning products into categories so that you don’t waste precious time looking for what you need.
- Recruit your cleaning team: the rest of your family! Give them specific tasks and responsibilities to do at specific times – and give the kids small rewards when they do really well in order to keep them engaged and willing to help around the house.
- Optimise the way you do your housework. Invest in a powerful vacuum cleaner that’s sturdy and efficient. That way you’ll no longer have to waste time going over the same bit of carpet again and again and again!
- Be methodical: start at the door to each room and then clean in a circle from top to bottom. This will help you minimise the chances of missing a spot or cleaning the same bit twice.
Super Savvy Tip
Leave your shoes in the hallway. Most of the dirt around the house is brought in from outside on the soles of your shoes. Put slippers out in the hallway for your guests. Give it a go and you’ll quickly see a big difference!