Tantalising apple tart
Treat your family to this classic pudding.
Baking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8-10 (makes two 23cm tarts)
Approx cost: £10
Rich shortcrust pastry:
1. 280g cake flour (or 250g plain flour and 40g cornstarch)
2. 2ml salt
3. 200g cold butter, cubed
4. 15ml caster sugar
5. 1 egg white
6. 20ml ice water
7. 5ml lemon juice
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the flour mixture has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the caster sugar and stir through.
3. Mix the egg yolks, water and lemon juice and add to the dry ingredients.
4. Knead into firm dough, halve, wrap each portion in cling film, and refrigerate for one hour.
5. Refrigerating the pastry for a while helps prevent shrinking during baking.
Prepare the cases
1. Roll out each ball on a floured surface to a thickness of 3mm.
2. Roll the dough onto a rolling pin (don’t worry if it breaks: that’s the nature of the dough, so just press it together again) and line two flan tins.
3. Prick the pastry bases, cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, then cover the pastry cases with baking paper and a layer of dried beans, and bake blind for about 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another five minutes. Allow the cases to cool and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
Apple tart filling
1. 420g caster sugar
2. 2 vanilla pods
3. 6 apples
4. 300g butter
5. 4 eggs
6. 300g finely ground almonds
7. Rind of two lemons, grated
8. 90g cake flour (or 80g flour and 15 cornstarch)
9. 120g raisins, soaked in warm water until plump
1. Place 120g of the caster sugar, and the vanilla pods, in a saucepan with one litre water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Peel, halve and core the apples, then add to the syrup in the saucepan, cover and poach for 5-10 minutes until soft. Drain and cool.
Tip You can reduce the remaining sauce and serve it as syrup with the apple tart for dessert.
2. Beat the butter and remaining 300g of caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating thoroughly after each. Next, fold in the almonds, lemon rind and flour.
3. Slice the poached apples with a sharp knife but not quite all the way through the top.
4. Spread three-quarters of the almond filling over the baked pastry cases. Fan the apples over the filling and sprinkle the raisins on top. Spoon the rest of the filling between the apple slices and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and firm. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.