The weekly and monthly maintenance can be just as time consuming. Waxing, exfoliating, cleansing, colouring – sometimes it can seem that your beauty to-do list is endless. And while it would be lovely to spend all weekend flitting between spa and salon to wax your legs and highlight your hair, the reality is that there isn’t always the time and money to do it.
The good news is that there are ways to simplify your beauty routine and save time with our handy hacks…
1. Colour upHome hair colouring kits are a godsend when you can’t get an appointment at the salon, whether that’s due to time or money or both. Plus, while you’re waiting for the colour to develop you can give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
Hey presto – perfect colour from head to toe!
2. Put the beauty in beauty sleepWe all know how important it is to get a good night’s sleep, and not just because waking up refreshed means you’ll probably need fewer products when you’re doing your make up in the morning.
Many beauty products are more effective if you use them overnight, too, as they have longer to work their magic and can penetrate better. Pile on these products before you go to bed and you can really reap the benefits.
Smooth a rich night cream on your face, neck and décolletage; use a foot file to remove hard skin, then slather your feet with a rich moisturiser and put on some old socks – you’ll wake with super-soft skin. And for your hair, warm some coconut oil in your palms and apply it to your hair before going to bed for a lush deep-conditioning overnight treatment.
3. Finishing touchDouble-duty products are your friend when it comes to streamlining your morning routine. From chubby colour sticks that will work on lips, cheeks and eyes, to CC creams that moisturise and tint at the same time, there are plenty of options on the market.
And then there are those products which don’t make a big deal about the fact that they can do more than one thing. A quick double-duty trick is to apply a bit more hand cream than you need, and then use the excess as a finishing cream for hair to smooth flyaways.
4. Make scentsPerfume can be expensive, so spraying it randomly can be a bit of a waste, particularly if you commit the cardinal sin of rubbing your wrists together after spritzing them. (This can break down the molecules in the oils, which changes the scent altogether.)
Instead, spritz perfume onto your hairbrush and brush through your hair. Not only will you sort your hair and your scent in one, but it can also make the fragrance last longer. Hair is more porous than skin, so it can hold scent more effectively as it evaporates at a slower rate.
5. Power toolsA multi-tasking tool is a great way to save time and money, and the Braun FaceSpa is a clever gadget that delivers up to six beauty treatments in one nifty little device.
Firstly, it’s an epilator, which will leave your face fuzz free in seconds, even removing hair that is four times shorter than wax can catch. Then for deep pore cleansing, the facial cleansing brush attachment is up to six times more effective than using a manual facial wash alone and is ideal for daily use.
A further vitalising pad attachment delivers a gentle massage to stimulate the skin and increase blood circulation. Used weekly with serum for a gentle peeling effect, you’ll see smoother skin in three weeks.
There is even a beauty sponge attachment that you can use to apply your moisturiser and foundation. Combine all this, and you’ll save serious time in the long run, as your skin will be naturally flawless.
How do you save time when it comes to your beauty routine? Let us know in the comments section below.