Wake-up Looking Younger: My 3-STEP EVENING SKIN ROUTINE
With two decades worth of experience in the beauty industry, Olay Global Facialist Anastasia Achilleos has shared her skincare expertise around the world, gathering insight into the global community of beauty. As an industry leader, Anastasia has a passion and desire for beauty products, treatments and well-being.
SWITCH OFF YOUR MIND, SWITCH ON YOUR SKIN
‘At the end of the evening when we should be switching off, many of us switch on to technology and social media to catch up and keep up. However, stimulating our brains before bedtime makes it even harder to switch off and sleep well at night, which is when the skin naturally repairs itself. To combat this, each night I make a consciousness effort to reclaim a little ‘me-time’ with a skin care routine. Now you can too. I’ve created this ‘Lights Out’ 3 step night-time massage for the eyes, jawline and neck using Olay Regenerist 3 Point Age-Defying Night Cream – the moisturiser contains Olay Regenerist’s Skin Energising Technology.
STEP 1: WARM UP YOUR SKIN
• Lie flat - a natural way to massage skin.
• Starting with both hands on your chest, just below the collar bone, take three deep breaths and exhale slowly.
• With the pot of cream next to you, put a pea-sized amount into the palm of your hands.
• Slowly rub your hands together in a circular motion for a count of 10.
• Lay your hands over your face - fingertips should cover the forehead, palms across the face.
• Take a deep breath and exhale slowly.
• Next, slide palms up and over the forehead, out to the temples, following the hairline down to the chin. Repeat for 30 seconds.
• Take another deep breath and exhale slowly.
• Place your fingertips to your forehead again - this time, rest your palms on the cheekbone and press inward toward the cheekbone with your palm.
• Next, apply a little pressure and push the base of your palms (and cheekbones) up slightly – hold for 10 seconds before releasing.
STEP 3: RELIEVE TENSION AND UNWIND
• Take another deep breath, exhaling slowly.
• Now, pinch your eyebrows with your thumb beneath the brow and index finger above.
• Hold this position for 10 seconds whilst taking deep breaths.
• Continue to gently pinch your brow bone and release, slowly moving out towards temples.
• Using both thumbs, finish with three small clockwise circles at each temple.
• Place arms by your sides and take deep breaths.
• Exhale slowly, feeling yourself switch off
3 TOP TIPS FOR SWITCHING OFF:
1. Have a salt bath
Dr. Nerina Ramlakhan, Sleep & Stress Management Expert at Nightingale Hospital: ‘You will experience a deep sleep after a salt bath; to do this, steep bath water with Bi-carbonate of Soda or Epsom salts, the magnesium and salts help to relax the muscles. Soak for 15 minutes.’
2. Eat Carbs
Editor, Annabel Jones: ‘Save your carbs for your evening meal as foods like rice, pasta and potatoes will help you sleep. Or try a banana.
3. Switch off technology
Dr. Nerina Ramlakhan suggests avoiding watching television in bed. “Turn off appliances a good 60-90 minutes before you go to bed as this can help de-clutter your mind.’
Have your say...