Dr Uchenna’s 5 Steps for Whiter Teeth
Oral-B Smile Director, Dr Uchenna Okoye reveals her 5 steps to white teeth
The same shade of white isn’t right for everyone! As Oral-B Smile Director, Dr Uchenna Okoye, points out, “not everyone suits the brightest shade of white – it all depends on your skin tone, eye colour and personality, so it’s important you get the right white to suit you.”
For pale skin, Dr Uchenna recommends you push the white so you can see the difference against a light skin tone, so something close to shades referred to as OM3 or OM4. People with pale skin, but dark hair should go more towards light shades like A1 or A2. For dark skin, she recommends the slightly darker shades referred to as A2 or A3, because the contrast between skin tone and teeth shade already makes teeth look whiter.
- Ask your dentist to change dark fillings to white ones, especially ones near the front that can be seen in photos.
- Brush your teeth with a power brush twice a day for two minutes each time. That’s only four minutes a day, so it’s not too much to ask. Maintain whiteness with toothpaste like Oral-B 3D White Luxe. It features a improved Dual Silica System that helps prevent tartar and allows teeth to reflect more light for a healthy shine.
- Swap your regular electric toothbrush head for the special 3D White Polishing Cup. It has a cup in the middle of its bristles, like a hygienist’s tool, to hold the toothpaste closer to the tooth and polish more effectively. This head oscillates, pulsates and surrounds each tooth, offering a complete clean for teeth and gums. It also removes up to 100% more plaque from teeth compared to a regular manual toothbrush.
- Get flossing! Flossing can help prevent stains building up between teeth, leaving your teeth looking whiter, even in between the gaps.
- Anything that will stain a white shirt will also stain your teeth, so try to avoid dark food and drinks where possible.