A new survey, conducted by Oral-B in partnership with the Oral Health Foundation, has found that 67% of British adults are apprehensive about visiting their dentist. For some, that apprehension is caused by the worry that our dentist won't be happy with how we have been taking care of our teeth.
But it doesn't have to be that way. There are a few simple steps you can take at home in order to improve your next dental check-up and feel better about your oral health.
Eat 'mouth-friendly' foods
Avoid foods high in sugar and acid, such as fizzy drinks, fruit juices and sweets, as they can weaken enamel and cause tooth decay. Both issues are common in the UK, affecting 50% and 30% of the population, respectively, and can lead to more serious oral health issues, such as extreme sensitivity caused by weakened enamel and gum disease and cavities resulting from tooth decay.
Don't procrastinate - take better care of your teeth today
Taking care of your smile through better habits is a great long-term investment in your mouth and teeth. It's obvious to dental professionals when plaque has built up over time, or if you have not been brushing properly.
The best way to get ahead is to make sure you brush the ways your dental professional recommends: twice a day for two minutes each time, using a good fluoride toothpaste and an electric toothbrush.
"Preventing oral care problems is definitely better than treating them," says Dr. Uchenna Okoye, Oral-B Smile Director. "By listening to your dentist and using products they recommend, like the Oral-B Pro-Expert toothpaste, you can be sure to have long-lasting healthier gums and teeth."
Try brushing with an electric toothbrush for even better results . The Oral-B GENIUS 9000 electric toothbrush range has superb features including:
• Position Detection Technology: cutting-edge motion sensor technology located in the brush, combined with an app that uses video recognition to make sure you don't miss any zones of your mouth.
• Triple Pressure Sensor Technology: ensures there is not too much pressure applied when brushing.
• Oscillating-Rotating-Pulsating technology: cleans tooth by tooth, reaching areas that are often missed by manual rectangular brush heads, ensuring a superior clean.
Use the paste that more dentists in the UK use themselves
Oral-B Pro-Expert is the #1 toothpaste most used by UK dentists themselves . It is clinically proven to strengthen teeth and give you a healthier mouth, starting from day one with continued use . It also helps protect the key areas that dentists check most.
Oral-B Pro-Expert is a great toothpaste to use regularly between check-ups, as it contains Stannous Fluoride complex, which is unique to Oral-B. Stannous Fluoride has many benefits as it creates a long-lasting protective shield over your teeth's surfaces and makes the enamel stronger against acids.
Don't only prepare your mouth, prepare yourself
Going to the dentist is most often a short part of your day. If have a lot on your mind, it can be good to make a list of questions to ask your dentist, to make sure you get the most out of your check-up. We have listed a few to get started:
• What are the essential basics I need to know around daily dental care?
• Is there anything else I can do to improve my overall dental health?
• Are there any specific foods/drinks I should avoid to protect my teeth?
• Should I tell you about any other health issues or concerns I have at the moment, in case they affect my oral health?
There is no reason to worry about going to the dentist if you follow these tips. Starting having better check-ups today with your dental professional!
Do you dread your check-ups, or are your teeth squeaky clean? Why not share your experiences and tips in the comments box below?