Lentil soup with mushroomsPreparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Approx cost: £4.50
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g smoked pork rashers or bacon slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Small handful parsley, chopped
- 150g button mushrooms, quartered
- 250g soup lentils of your choice, rinsed
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- Stock or water
- Lemon, to taste
- Mint leaves, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pot over a medium heat and tip in the onions, celery, pork or bacon rashers, garlic and parsley.
- Sauté gently for 5 minutes before adding the mushrooms. Then sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and cover with water or stock. Allow them to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Season the soup and add a squeeze of lemon juice and mint to taste.
- Serve with bread and strong cheddar cheese for a hearty dinner.
Spanish bean and chorizo soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
Approx cost: £5
- 250g borlotti beans, soaked overnight
- 30ml olive oil
- 1-2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 400g potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 100g cabbage, shredded
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 chorizo sausages (about 200g), sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans and tip into a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil, skimming off any froth with a slotted spoon.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes until just cooked, but still firm.
- Drain and set aside.
- Reheat the pot over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Sauté the onions, potatoes and cabbage and season well.
- Add the beans and stock and cook for a further 30 minutes, adding the chorizo slices for the last 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a good sprinkling of paprika and a dash of salt and pepper.