- Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil, adding herbs and finely chopped chilli to taste.
- Add potato cut into small cubes and fry the mixture until it all starts to soften.
- Add fresh peas and broad beans and other green vegetables as preferred (courgettes, celery etc).
- Cover all the ingredients with vegetable or chicken stock and simmer until it breaks down but isn’t completely mushy.
Warm salad supper
This dish is ideal when you need to cook dinner in a few minutes but you’re still after healthy dinner recipes.
- Wash and cut off the woody part of the stem from asparagus spears. Cut spring onions into thin strips, slice other vegetables as preferred (mushrooms, peppers, etc).
- Stir-fry or lightly sauté these ingredients with herbs, finely chopped fresh ginger or a couple of squeezes of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare each plate with a bed of fresh salad and top with a spoonful of the vegetables; then enjoy this fresh food feast!
- OPTIONAL: Add crumbled feta cheese pieces or grilled chicken strips.
Salmon with lemon and basil
Fish recipes make healthy protein-rich suppers.
- Grate the zest of half a lemon, chop basil leaves and add a slosh of olive oil. Blend this with a little of the lemon’s juice into a thick dressing.
- Pour the dressing over salmon fillets and steam them by microwave for four or five minutes, or wrap in foil and bake on a high heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with rice and green beans, or Jersey Royal new potatoes.
Savvy tip – how to freeze herbs
Using fresh herbs is one of the secrets to keeping dishes tasty but light. Find out how to freeze herbs so they’re as good as fresh when you want them.
Pass it on – spring supper dessert
Make the most of cherries, strawberries and raspberries being in season with simple, delicious recipes like Creamy berries.