5 easy arm exercises to tone your arms
Before you read on, did you know that you can sign up to receive the latest Supersavvyme articles, tips & tricks and competitions? Register here.
Once the weather warms up, or you there’s a sunny holiday planned, our minds turn to baring the bits that have spent the chillier months under wraps. Top of that list for many of us is our arms. If you want to know how to tone your arms, these simple arm exercises can help you get toned arms in no time.
The best bit is that you can do them at home without any special equipment. Before you start, warm up by marching on the spot for three minutes, then do two sets of 12 reps for every one of these arm exercises. As with all forms of exercise, if you have any medical concerns, consult your doctor before starting new fitness routines.
Arm exercise 1
- Sit on the edge of a sturdy chair or high step, placed against a wall for stability. Place your hands either side of you with your fingers facing forward and your knees at a 90 degree angle in front of you.
- Lift yourself forward off the chair, lowering your body until your arms are at a right angle, then straighten them out and lift yourself up again. Repeat.
Arm exercise 2
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent, and tuck your elbows in towards you so your fists are between your ribs and waist.
- Slowly punch your right arm out in front of you, as far as it can go, twisting your fist inwards as you go and keeping your shoulders relaxed.
- Then do this with your left arm, pulling your right arm back in as you do. Once you have the basic moves of this arm exercise, speed it up for 45 seconds a set.
Arm exercise 3
- Stand with your legs very slightly bent holding a dumbbell in each hand (a can of baked beans in each hand works just as well if you don’t have dumbbells!). Raise your arms out to the side until they’re at shoulder level.
- Hold this position for a second, then raise your arms further until they’re straight up above your head and shoulder-width apart.
Arm exercise 4
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, your arms at your sides and a dumbbell in each hand so that your palms are facing back.
- Keep your biceps (the tops of your arms above your elbows) still and raise the dumbbells up towards your shoulder, then back down again to the original position.
Arm exercise 5
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. With a dumbbell in each hand, lift your arms straight up towards the ceiling.
- Bending your elbows, lower your arms behind you until the dumbbells are almost on the floor behind your head.
- Raise your arms back to the original position.
Now tone your lower body too
What’s your favourite way to exercise your arms?
Let us know in the comments section below.